Birmingham

Trout

9 hp Bolinder replaced by 15 hp Bolinder in 1950s. Lister HA2 engine installed in 1971. Lister JP2 engine installed in 2001, which was removed and put into Monarch when a Kelvin J4 was installed in 2005.

 

Renumbered 214/51 when acquired by BWB. Sold by BWB in 1970s.

 

Captained by George Page in the 1960's, then by Clark Walters in the 1970s. Now based at Shardlow. Partial conversion under canvas. Paired with ex-LMS butty Norah (now known by it's Willow Wren name Dabchick.)

Fleet no.: 
Builder: 
Cabined at: 
Registered at: 
Extant: 
Reg no.: 
Hull construction: 

Tench

BWB changed engine to Armstrong Siddeley AS2 , 20 hp in late 1960s, enabling Tench to work with a butty. Sold into private ownership by BWB in mid 1970s. Rebuilt at Horseley Fields dock; was owned by Midland Canal Transport. In 1982, travelled from Middlewich to Northampton via the Shropshire Union with Seaford and Lynx, carrying a one-off cargo of road salt, which attracted significant publicity at the time but did not lead to any regular work.

 

Left yard: 
Builder: 
Hull construction: 
Cabined at: 
Commissioned: 
Registered at: 
Reg no.: 
Extant: 
Fleet no.: 
Yard no.: 

Shad

Sunk at Northwich depot in 1979, the boat was moved to Ellesmere Port in 1979 with Lamprey, shortly before the IWA National Rally. It has been part of the Boat Museum collection since then. Unconverted in BWB yellow livery.

Left yard: 
Builder: 
Hull construction: 
Cabined at: 
Commissioned: 
Registered at: 
Reg no.: 
Extant: 
Fleet no.: 
Yard no.: 

Rudd

The boat lay at Northwich yard until 1979, at which time it was moved to the wide below Nantwich. It was purchased and restored with a longer engine room (12' as opposed to the usual 9' for the Fish class.) A 15hp Bolinder engine was fitted. Unconverted in BWB blue livery. Based at Leigh.

Cabined at: 
Builder: 
Left yard: 
Commissioned: 
Fleet no.: 
Reg no.: 
Registered at: 
Extant: 
Hull construction: 

Roach

Engine replaced in 1950 when it was paired with the converted Dory. Was later used as a maintenance boat in the north-west until the 80s when it was sold off after going through a bottom gate at Marple while loaded with piles. It was repaired and is now used to deliver fuel in the midlands, based at the owners coal yard above Bratch on the Staffs & Worcs. Is in owner's livery.

 

More information about the boat can be found on owner John Jackson's website.

Left yard: 
Builder: 
Hull construction: 
Cabined at: 
Commissioned: 
Registered at: 
Reg no.: 
Extant: 
Fleet no.: 
Yard no.: 

Perch

Sold into private ownership in 1972. Engine was replaced with a Bolinder 15hp in 1951 when the boat was paired with a butty, possibly Dory. In the 1980s a 4 cyl. Gardner was installed. Boat is now in two halves, in Notts undergoing major restoration, with a Lister JP3 to be installed.

Cabined at: 
Builder: 
Left yard: 
Commissioned: 
Fleet no.: 
Reg no.: 
Registered at: 
Extant: 
Hull construction: 

Mullet

Caggy Stevens was reported to have bought two ex-FMC hulls in the 70s, scrapped one and used the other. One was used as the rear 60' of an unnamed boat with an LMS front end, sold to Eddie Powell and now called Russia. Mullet and Skate are the only obvious candidates as the other boats of similar design are accounted for elsewhere, and as the boat that survived had the letters 'LE' still just visible on the hull when it was at Caggy's yard, it is thought that it may be Mullet.

Left yard: 
Builder: 
Hull construction: 
Cabined at: 
Commissioned: 
Registered at: 
Reg no.: 
Extant: 
Fleet no.: 
Yard no.: 

Minnow

The boat was with BW in their North Western fleet based at Anderton 1948-1963 then sold to Jack Taylor who had a carrying business based on the Shropshire Union from 1964-1975. The original forecabin was removed in about 1951 when an Armstrong Siddeley AS2 engine was fitted to allow the boat to tow a butty.

 

Left yard: 
Builder: 
Hull construction: 
Cabined at: 
Commissioned: 
Registered at: 
Reg no.: 
Extant: 
Fleet no.: 
Yard no.: 

Pages